Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bargaining....learn it


Today one of my X-colleague & a very good friend of mine came down to bangalore. we served for same company for over 3 years and now I stepped into another company and he is still working with the same.
Today evening, I had rendezvous with him and we moved to gossip world, topics were streaming between us. Mostly they were about my previous colleagues, who is doing what and the latest happenings in every one’s life…. I was going nostalgic about those days.
Even he bogged me with questions and one pinched me and that still haunting me. He reminded me that I had moved to new company with no means of gain in my personnel and professional life.

Yes, he is true. I am no more excited about the new environment. Before joining I was in a hope to learn some new technologies to put up my career in ever increasing brightness and earn a bit extra in my wallet.

But, Literally after mooting all my incentives, I found out that my new salary slip is having a thousand bugs extra per month in comparison to previous. Just 1k bugs compensation for staying away from all those intimate relationships, friends, relatives and parents .

I am feeling shy coz of my meager negotiating skills. I cleared technical interviews with notch but couldn’t reap the best out of it. Of course, paucity of market knowledge and poor on bargaining skills easily plunged me into HR faulty promises. Result, I end up in this present situation.

Now, I have checked all my options but can’t look around for any new opportunity.Coz of this, I am experiencing thorny days in professional life and of course that is blowing my personal life too…can’t help it. Have to bear it till next move, for sure I will be wiser this time.

Some tips for better negotiations

  • Identify your skill set and find out how desperately they are looking for professionals. This will help you in taking the advantage of the company, but other should not know that you are taking advantage of his dire needs, coz others may be wiser and more experience in negotiation field than you.
  • Show your interest in offer and assure them 100% willingness.
  • Do thorough market research for the position offered, what should be an ideal package? And other amenities, you are going to be privileged with this offer.
  • Take your time, don’t be shy in asking for clarifications with the negotiator and don’t believe whatever they say. This should be the first mantra, only then you can judge the offer very well.
  • Don’t only look for present package details and don’t be fanatic about only money. Enquire how people will be apprised of their work in company.
  • Go through the offer letter carefully and any thing that doesn’t seems to be complying the negotiations, then raise your concerns immediately.

    These are some which I believe will help any individual to gain the best for his experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment